Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Positive Thoughts Only

I was standing in line the other day and saw a young lady with a t-shirt on that really made an impact on me. Her shirt had a sorority insignia on it and the words "Fat Free Talk Week" in large hot pink letters. I thought to myself, WOW, that's the best I've heard in a long time.

As I looked at the young lady standing in line it made me think about how much we all criticize ourselves and how hard we are on ourselves and each other. I am not exempt from this negative internal and external dialogue. It is much easier to look at ourselves and find all the things that WE DON'T like without focusing on all the positives about ourselves and others.

On a personal note, I have always hated my legs. I've been tall for most of my life and have always wanted to be shorter so that I had a more compact, dense muscular frame. The funny thing is that I get so many compliments about my legs. It's the body part people compliment me on most! It's hard for me to believe that people actually like my legs because I have spent my whole life criticizing and disliking them. Weird, right? I have spent years focused on what I want and not appreciating what I have.

I am committing to STOP criticizing myself. No more negative self-talk. It's not healthy and it's not productive. If I see something about myself that I really want to change, talking negatively about it to myself is NOT going to produce a positive change so I won't do it anymore. When I want to make a change I will take action BUT will stop the negative internal dialogue dead in it's tracks, starting today!

What about you? Will you commit to stopping the negative self-talk?

No comments:

Post a Comment